If you have a child in another country, it is possible that the custodial parent will go through judicial processes to obtain child support from you. The main convention on child support is the Hague Convention on the International Recovery of Child Support and Other Forms of Family Maintenance. However, the United States is not a party to the convention. Instead, the United States has agreements with individual countries (instead of multilateral agreement) to request child support to the foreign country or enforce child support in the United States from a foreign country’s request.

The following states have agreements with the United States:
Australia, Canada, Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland/ Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island (PEI), Saskatchewan, Yukon, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Switzerland, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

If you are seeking child support from a noncustodial parent living in one of the countries listed above or if you have received a petition to enforce child support from another country,


Get a consultation

Send us your contact information and one of our Attorneys will contact you within 24 hours.